Report is a text which presenting information about something. Its social function is to describe the way things are, with reference to a range of natural, man-made and social phenomena in our environment. It is as a result of systematic observation and analysis.
Informative reports are written about living things like plants and non-living things like oceans. An information report is used when we talk and write about. When writing a description we only talk/write about one specific thing.
General structure of report:
- General classification, stating classification of general aspect of thing, such as animal, public place, plant, etc, which will be discussed in general.
- Description, tell what the phenomenon under discussion is like in terms of parts, qualities, if living; uses, if non-natural.
- Introducing group or general aspect.
- Using conditional logical connection, e.g. when, so, etc.
- Using simple present tense.
- No temporal sequence.
- Nouns and noun phrases are used rather than personal pronouns. The use of personal pronouns is limited.
- Some reports use technical or scientific terms.
- Linking verbs are used.
- Uses some action verbs, e.g. climb, eat, etc.
- Uses adjective of quality, e.g. delicate whitish, etc.
- Usually accompanied by photographs, diagrams, maps, etc.
Example of report:
Thanksgiving or Thanksgiving Day is a celebration of harvest, thankfulness for peace, and the attempt of Native Americans. It is celebrated in late autumn. In the past, Thanksgiving was celebrated for their rich harvest in New England. In North America, however, it was originally held to thank God for their survival in the new land which was not easy for them. However, in Canada, it had been celebrated as in New England. Thanksgiving now is celebrated in United States of America and in Canada. Thanksgiving festivals are held every fourth Thursday of November in the U.S and on the second Monday of October in Canada. It is usually celebrated in four to five days in the North America and for three days in Canada.
It is celebrated through families and friends gathering to eat and give good luck. Turkey is the main dish in the thanksgiving dinner. Thanksgiving parades are also usually held.
In Thanksgiving homes are decorated with wreaths, fresh and dried flowers. Lamps are lighted to brighten the environment. Tables are decorated with best china and antique silver dishes to mark the occasion.